#WECANICAN National Cancer Prevention Month
The We Can, I Can campaign is a three year global event taking place every February from 2016-2018, with a goal to unite the world’s population in the fight against cancer.
The campaign aims to save millions of preventable deaths each year by raising awareness and education about the disease, pressing governments and individuals across the world to take action.
We Can I Can primary objective: To get as many people as possible to talk about cancer by understanding lifestyle and environmental factors that increase the individuals risk of a cancer diagnosis. And what can be done to lower those identified risks.
Why We Can, I Can is important
- Currently, 8.2 million people die from cancer worldwide every year, out of which, 4 million people die prematurely (aged 30 to 69 years).
- The We Can, I Can campaign is the ideal opportunity to spread the word and raise the profile of cancer in people’s minds and in the world’s media.
How the Community Cancer Center will get involved
- Host an educational campaign for the month of February by providing materials both on campus and online.
- Have a month long display of signage and materials in the atrium.
- Promote and educational social media campaign that includes daily educational posts.
- Paid social media campaign promoting key messages.
- Add the Community Cancer Center’s educational campaign to the WCD Activity Map of Impact.
- Post the awareness event on News Review calendar of events.
- To educate on how to reduce exposure to cancer risk factors and
- To reduce the stigma and dispel myths about cancer.
For more information visit our #WECANICAN lobby display or contact:
Angelia Freeman, Outreach Program Manager